Get an Instant Quote

Registrations Exporters and Importers Should be Making in Advance of No-Deal.

To keep businesses operating as usual in the event of a no-deal Brexit, HMRC are urging EU importers and exporters to become familiar with three new programmes.

The three programmes are: 

  • Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI);
  • Customs Declarations Service (CDS);
  • Transitional Simplified Import and Export Procedure (SIEP).

As a leading logistics company, here at Tudor International Freight, we like to share with you the latest updates surrounding Brexit negotiations and how this may impact on exporting/importing to and from the EU in the future.

The UK government have taken steps to make the transition period when leaving the European Union much easier for international traders. Here, you will find information regarding the newly required EORI numbers, HMRC’s new portal, Customs Declaration Service, and a simplified import and export systems which aim to reduce the complications a no-deal Brexit could have on your business.


Will I need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) Number?

If the UK leaves the bloc with a no-deal, you will need an EORI number which starts with the letters “GB” to continue trading with the EU.

It is helpful to view trading after a no-deal Brexit Britain, as you would view trading with the rest of the world outside the EU. If your business has already traded outside of the EU, you will already have a valid EORI number. If not, you can apply for your  EORI number online, you’ll need:

  • Your VAT number;
  • NI Number;
  • Taxpayer reference;
  • Business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code.

 You can apply now on the GOV.UK website HERE.


What will happen when CHIEF transitions to CDS?

Traders who have already traded with countries outside of the European Union will be familiar with The Customs Handling Import Export Freight (CHIEF). For those who haven’t previously traded outside of the European Union, CHIEF is the UK’s one and only system which allows for the processing of import and export declarations.  This system also calculates the duty and taxes which are applicable to the goods entering at the port/airport.

The CHIEF structure is transitioning into a new system called Customs Declarations Service (CDS) ahead of plans formed prior to the EU Referendum in 2016. Although this transition of service is not a direct result of Brexit, it will still be happening during a mass trading legislature shift and will apply to EU trade if a no-deal EU exit is established. The new CDS system will have all the same features as CHIEF but will require you as the import or exporter in the UK to hold a Government Gateway Account

We recommend you apply for an account if you haven’t done so already.


Why do I need to register for Transitional Simplified Import and Export Procedures (SIEP)?

HMRC have reportedly reached out to 145,000 UK businesses currently trading with the EU urging them to take immediate action in preparation for a no-deal Brexit. The UK Government is offering a simplified transitional procedure, to keep the continuance of imports and exports in our favour as we exit the bloc. The system allows you to trade quickly and move goods through customs without paying any potential customs duty due or filing an import declaration before the goods are released. 

This is achieved by filing monthly declarations of goods imported, which are then vouched for by HMRC until you pay it one month later. However, it is important to consider that the SIEP requires controlled goods (Dangerous goods, hazardous cargo, animals etc) and standard goods to follow a different procedure, for example, you must now file a Simplified Frontier Declaration if your imports or exports are considered controlled. If you are exporting, you will also be required to provide a commodity code, and a customs procedure code (CPC) If you are importing or exporting standard goods, you must follow the standard goods procedure.  The GOV.UK website offers information about how transactions, duties and VAT are paid HERE.


If you have any questions or queries regarding any of the information above, please contact us on

Share with

Industry Specific Guidance and Logistics Advice