Here are some interesting facts you may have not known about Antigua and Barbuda:
- “Antigua” means “Old” in Spanish, named by Christopher Columbus, who first discover the island in 1493, in honor of the Seville Cathedral of Santa Maria La Antigua.
- The island of Antigua only, is about 22 kilometers (14 miles) long and 18 kilometers (11 miles) wide, encompassing 281 square kilometers (108 square miles). Moreover, the capitol of Antigua is St johns. Which Tudor Freight International supply sea freight services. You can see our services HERE. Its sister island Barbuda covers 161 square kilometers (62 square miles).
- The current population of Antigua and Barbuda combined is 99,539 ranking it 201st in terms of population and 130th in terms of population growth rate. There are 1445 births in Antigua and Barbuda in 2021. That is 4 per day, which is ranked 199th.
- Many famous people of the international Jet-set, that chose this island as one of their luxury retreats. The list includes Oprah Winfrey, author Jamaica Kincaid, the fashion designer Giorgio Armani, Richard Branson of Virgin Atlantic. Not only this, but the Antiguans also decided to named their highest peak, formerly Boggy peak, after President Obama due to his successful campaign in becoming president.
- Antigua has been nicknamed “the land of 365 beaches” because of its many spectacular white-sand bays along its coastline.