For a country with an estimated population of only 2.8 million people it's fair to say Qatar has significant influence within commerce, politics and industry Worldwide.
From this relatively small country over 3000 students come to the UK each year to study and work at UK universities. This number is growing every year and we thought it would be a good idea to provide you with a few facts about the country so you can impress people with your knowledge.
TEN FACT ABOUT QATAR
1. Human habitation in Qatar dates back to the stone age, around 50,000 years ago.
2. Qatar is a peninsula which covers 11,400 sq km. The UK is approx 21 times larger than Qatar.
3. The capital city is Doha which has a population of approx 2.3 million people. About 80% of the population of Qatar live in and around Doha.
4. Qatar has been ruled by the Al-Thani family since 1825.
5. Qatar gained complete independence from the UK on September 3rd 1971.
6. Qatar is due to host the FIFA World Cup in 2022. This is the first time the competition has been held in The Middle East.
7. Qatar is one of the wealthiest countries in the World by GDP due mainly to its gas and oil exports.
8. Qatar hosts camel racing with a difference. The jockeys are robots!! (yes, you read that right)
9. The currency is the Qatari riyal which was introduced in 1973
10. When shipping to Qatar many students choose Tudor Freight as their shipping agent. We offer an air freight service to Doha airport (known as Hamad International Airport) and a sea freight service to Sohar Port.
Contact us for further information.