1) Portugal’s weather is known as the hottest in Europe, with nearly 3,000 sunny hours per year.
2) Some of the biggest waves in the world can be found at Nazare, just off the coast of Portugal. The monstrous waves, some going up to 100 feet, attract surfers from all over the world!
3) First established as a country in the 12th century, Portugal has had the same defined borders since 1139 – making it the oldest nation in Europe
4) Portuguese is spoken by the 10 million inhabitants of Portugal….and also by 230 million others all around the world. In fact, Portuguese is the official language of 9 countries and is the 6th most used language online.
5) Portugal accounts for about 50% of the worlds cork production. And the best cork in the world is from the Algarve. Portuguese cork is used by leading brands such as Moet Chandon and Rolls Royce, by Airbus and NASA. And in 2018, Portuguese cork will be present in the spacecraft used by the European Space Agency in its mission to mars.
6) Portuguese shoes walk the world, and strut some of the biggest stages. Rihanna’s 2013 shoe collection for River Island was produced in Portugal. And Pippa Middleton, the famous royal sister, and her mother, both wore Portuguese made shoes for the royal wedding. A traditional industry that has moved with the times, the Portuguese footwear industry styles itself as the sexiest industry in Europe.
7) The ATM system in Portugal, the Multibanco is one of the most advanced in the world. Long before online banking became the norm, you could do your banking, pay your bills and your taxes at your local Multibanco. Today there are over 60 operations possible via the ATM system, including buying concert tickets, donating to charities and topping up your phone credit.
8) Almost 12% of the inhabitants of Luxembourg and 3% of the people in France are of Portuguese descent. Paris has the largest Portuguese community outside Portugal and is the second largest Portuguese city after Lisbon based on the number of Portuguese residents.
9) The kingdom of Portugal lasted for nearly 800 years, from 1139 to 1910. Since 1910, the country has been a republic. The modern democratic republic was founded in 1976.
10) The Lisbon-based S.L. Benfica is the world's most supported football club according to the Guinness Book of World Record.
Credit: My Guide
Shipping Services to Portugal
Tudor International Freight have been shipping to Portugal for many years. If you have a shipment that you would like to send overseas, Tudor International Freight will be able to help you. If you are shipping to Lisbon or you would like some additional advice in respect of shipping to Faro, please don't hesitate to contact our team. We are also shipping to Funchal along with many other Portuguese destination on a regular basis. We also offer a door to door road freight service to most European destinations so if you are shipping to Portugal or shipping to Malta we will also be able to help you.
Contact our team if you have any excess baggage queries or questions.